Mr. Senrick--Teacher/World Traveler

Mr. Senrick--Teacher/World Traveler
Educators to Saudi Arabia 2007

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

And now for something completely different...Amsterdam!

I was fortunate to have some time in Amsterdam, Netherlands on my return home. I had debated about whether or not to include my photos from here on this blog. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it was a good way to add closure.

Amsterdam is in many ways an antithesis of Saudi Arabia. Here drugs and prostitution are legal. Tourists abound, and it's hard to pick out the local people. Yet even with these extreme differences, there are parallels. I met a man, Hans, while I was on the street trying to read a map of the city. He introduced himself, and offered to help. We got into a conversation and talked about the US, specifically San Francisco as being similarly liberal to Amsterdam, as well as Saudi Arabia as being conservative (from our eyes) at the same level at which Amsterdam is liberal. Again, at the root though, are what all cities have, the Haneens and the Hans, that help us to know the people!


Here are some pictures I took from Amsterdam. Stunning like Saudi Arabia, just different.


No comments: