Mr. Senrick--Teacher/World Traveler

Mr. Senrick--Teacher/World Traveler
Educators to Saudi Arabia 2007

Friday, April 6, 2007

More life long friends, En Shallah (God Willing!)

I had the privilege of meeting some inspiring people in this "liberal" Saudi city. Beyond talking about Saudi culture and roles of women, we bonded. We shared stories of our families, our hopes for the future, our ambitions, and our problems. They shared their knowledge of Islam and of love. They recommended books, and even surprised me with gifts. I was able to talk with them about difficult and intense issues that just aren't spoken about openly at all in Saudi Arabia, like discrimination, AIDs, psychaiatry, homosexuality, alcohol and drug use, and spousal abuse to name a few. These bonding experiences are the type that can help lead to the change that the world needs. Open dialogue, a willingness to trust and to share, to listen and to be empathetic are some of the most important things we humans can learn how to do. I have come to realize that Saudi Arabia and the US are very similar and run parallel to eachother, while at the same time maintaining their differences. Looking past superficial things, like the abaya and the veil, I see the beauty and am inspired by these Saudi Arabians.
Haneen and I met at a reception one night. As I walked by her and a few other Saudi ladies, she called me over. That was the start of what I see to be an ongoing friendship. She is a descendant of Muhammed, and lives with her family in both Jeddah and Meccah. Only 24, she currently teaches business in a Jeddah college. She will be leaving in November to begin a 9 month Masters program in the UK. (She is one of 5,000 highly qualified Saudis selected for an international study fellowship.) I can't even describe the bond that we two Geminis made. We shared teaching stories, travel experiences, and our hopes for the future. She recommended the Leo Buscaglia book, Love: What Life is all about..., which she surprised me with as a gift before we departed. She also shared some of her poetry, which she hopes to publish, with our entire delegation. Her talent is illuminating.
Asrar works for public relations for Aramco. She will be starting an exciting new project shortly, which will challenge her for a few years working with a new university scheduled to open in a few years. Our conversation started with Saudi culture and Islam, and quickly spread to topics regarding globalization and the future of the world. Asrar and I talked about our personal lives, and gave each other advice from our different perspectives. She also directed me to some excellent books to help me better teach my students about Islam and Suudi-American relations. I can't wait to read Islam Denounces Terrorism by Harun Yahya. She is an inspiration.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Senrik , looks like you have met some interesting people. bUt about the book that she pointed you too, is in Arabic? Or does it come in any language. i think you should read this book as a class for next year's advance class when you are doing ethnicity because I think it will help alot.
Have Fun and see you soon!
NAVITA

Anonymous said...

Solomon, I am glad to know that you are happy about your stay in Jeddah, and that the places along with the people here caught your interest. I do believe strongly in the saying, Beauty lays in the eye of the beholder, and that is so true about you. You talked about how people were open, nice and friendly, believe me if it wasn’t of you holding those same qualities you wouldn’t have felt a thing. But once again this is the beauty of being Human Beings, although we are all different yet we are all alike. :)

Anonymous said...

...who's that...?